So I am currently sitting in my apartment in China. I really love it here. The city I live in is AMAZING. And all the kids are so fun I love teaching. Easily the coolest thing I’ve ever done.
Things About China
- The city I live in is a small one in a poorer province so most people here have never seen an American. Having blonde hair and blue eyes = instant celebrity status. Seriously, people just snap my photo all the time, students always want me to sign their books (not sure why), and I spend half my day waving at everyone who walks by me.
- Everyone here is REALLY friendly. They always want to impress us too, so they are always giving us things and stuff.
- Personal space? Not such a big thing here.
- Also advanced notice…. Apparently in China things just aren’t as scheduled as they are in America. For example… even though the “holiday” is in like 2 weeks they have yet to decide when school will let out for it.
- Another example of this would be the day Maddie and I started teaching. They totally just handed us our schedule and were like k, go for it! Your classes start now. haha
- Or the time they just showed up at our apartment at like 7:00 pm and said the headmaster (whom we call Dumbledore in the privacy of our own apartment) would like to interview us. Maddie and I are thinking he wants to ask us about our classes and stuff. Well…. No actually we are just going to be on the news is all. (I think by time I get back I’ll be so go with the flow it’ll be insane).
- American Chinese food is nothing like actual Chinese food. Well… they still eat rice. They also eat chicken feet….
- The bathrooms…. You don’t even know….
- The apples here taste better. Also I have this new favorite fruit that I don’t even think has an english name. It’s awesome though whatever it is.
- Their technology talks a lot more than ours does.
- Everything is really cheap here. I’ve got to the point that when I see something that cost 28 RMB and I think it’s too expensive. That’s like $4 in the US…
- Suddenly I feel pretty tall
- The illegal movie market is alive and well.
- I’ve started using a lot more body language to explain myself… this might prove embarrassing when I get back to normal life.
- I had to get a hacked ISP to get on this blog.